Monday, October 7, 2013

Nerdtastic Review: Gravity

Goodness gracious, my head is still spinning. I'm only a few hours removed from Gravity and I'm having a hard time finding the words to adequately explain what I just went through....which is why this review may be the shortest I've ever written.

From the get go, Gravity spins you out of control and doesn't let up until the pulsating score blasts its final note about a minute into the credits. This is a very, very good thing.



The first thing you will notice about Gravity, a fight for survival set in space, is that it is the most gorgeous movie to look at in a long, long time. Actually make that forever. Alfonso Cuaron is an absolute master of his craft and it shows in each and every scene. I honestly don't know how they kept everything straight, from the way objects were spinning, to the light from the sun peeking over the horizon, to the complete and utter lack of sound in the beautiful abyss. It would have been simple for any one of these factors to be overlooked and the feeling of immersion to be lost. But they are not, and it is not. You will be speechless.

But what good is a gorgeous movie if it is filled with hollow and uninteresting characters? I'm looking at you, Transformers. We need to care about these people hurtling through space. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney make it easy. It's hard to believe that neither were the first choice for their parts, because they are both, for lack of a better word, perfect. Bullock in particular shines, as I'm sure her Oscar will, come awards season. A movie like Gravity can come plummeting to Earth if the performances fall flat, but Bullock and Clooney keep it safely in orbit (see what I did there?).



I really don't want to say much more here. Gravity is stunning, harrowing, pensive and grand. It is an incredibly unique experience guided along by two of the best actors of our time. The direction is flawless and the sequences are breathtaking, literally. It's the best movie in a long, long time and hopefully more will follow in its footsteps.

Remember to breathe.


My Rating: B+


No comments:

Post a Comment